spin


Friday, February 26, 2016

Calling For a Lenten Ban on Oatmeal Raisin Cookies

When I was a little boy, I had a traumatic experience. Upon returning home from school, I would often find my favorite chocolate chip cookies cooling on the counter. One regretful day, I saw what looked like my cookies. I (thought I) saw a chocolate chip cookie, but when I tasted it my brain short-circuited! Confused, I spit it out saying, "What is this?" It was a cookie imposter! To this day I am wounded by that experience, please pray for my healing!


A great piece of advice for a fruitful Lent comes from Jesus himself. In his preaching he encouraged us to strive for a unity between our external and our internal. Today we would say walk-the-walk, don't just talk-the-talk. All of our Lenten devotions should aim at an integration, how we look on the outside should be a reflection of how we look on the inside. I am sure that Jesus took his cue from 1 Samuel 16:7, "For the LORD sees not as man sees: man looks on the outward appearance, but the LORD looks on the heart."

There is a connection between what we believe and how we behave, what we think and what we do.

+ Fr. Luke Mary Fletcher, CFR
Yonkers, NY
-----------------------------------
We need your help!
Donate here.


No comments:

Post a Comment