spin


Friday, June 28, 2013

Unusual Company

A few months ago, while recovering from a run, I came across something very interesting.  It was a postcard-sized picture of DaVinci’s Last Supper, but with some unusual characters.  Instead of the usual suspects (i.e. the twelve Apostles), Jesus was surrounded by Ellen DeGeneres, Lance Armstrong, and Katy Perry on his right as well as LeBron James, Jerry Jones, and Kim Kardashian on his left.  The card posed the question: “What would Jesus say to…”, listing the names of the surprising dinner companions.



What an interesting question!  What would Jesus say to theses celebrities, if He met them one on one?  How would the conversation go?  When I showed the card to others, there were a variety of reactions.  “I’m God and your not”, “Turn or Burn”, “Short the pleasure, eternal the punishment”, “repent”, “What profiteth a man to gain the whole world and forfeit his life?”  We might imagine many other things that Jesus could rightfully say to them.  But what would Jesus really say to them?  “I love you!”  “I love you!”  “I love you!”  “Let me help you!”  “Let me show you mercy!”  “Let me heal you!”  “Let me free you!”  “Let me make you truly happy!” 

I love reflecting on this question because I think it reveals what Jesus says to us and how we perceive him.  We often think that Jesus has nothing but negative things to say to us, but all he really wants to say is “I love you!”  An even more interesting question, however, is “What would Ellen, Lance, Katy, LeBron, Jerry, and Kim say to Jesus?”  The answer to this question might show us how we respond to the Lord’s love for us.  How do you reply to Jesus? 


+ Br. Ignatius Pio Mariae, CFR
Saint Joseph Friary
Harlem, NYC
------------------------------------------------
We need your help!

No comments:

Post a Comment